Bike accidents can occur in various ways, each with unique circumstances and injuries. Each type of accident has potential injuries, ranging from minor cuts and bruises to broken bones and head trauma.
Here are some of the most common types of bike accidents and the injuries associated with them:
The Most Common Types of Bike Accidents:
- Rear-end collisions: These types of accidents are some of the most common, and they often occur if a car overtakes a cyclist and then turns in front of them, causing the cyclist to collide with the back of the car.
- Right-of-way violations: These types of accidents happen when a driver fails to yield the right-of-way to a bicyclist, resulting in a collision.
- Dooring accidents: These types of accidents occur when a driver opens their door into the path of a bicyclist, resulting in a collision.
- Hit-and-run accidents: These types of accidents occur when a driver strikes a bicyclist and then leaves the accident scene. Head injuries and back injuries are the most common injuries associated with hit-and-run accidents.
- Road hazards: These types of accidents occur when a bicyclist hits a pothole or other road hazard, resulting in a fall.
Each injuries’ severity depends on the accident type and the force of the impact. However, some of the most common injuries associated with bike accidents include the following:
Injuries Associated with Bike Accidents:
Head injuries: Head injuries are the most common injury associated with bike accidents. These injuries can range from minor concussions to more serious, traumatic brain injuries.
Back injuries: Back injuries are another common injury associated with bike accidents. Back injuries can range from minor sprains and strains to spinal fractures.
Neck injuries: Neck injuries can range from minor whiplash to more serious neck fractures. When your head is suddenly jerked forward or backward, your neck fractures; these injuries are much less common but can still be serious. Treatment for neck injuries will depend on the severity of the injury.
Shoulder injuries: Shoulder injuries can range from minor sprains and strains to more serious shoulder fractures. Most shoulder injuries can be treated at home with rest, ice, and over-the-counter pain medication. However, more severe shoulder injuries may require professional medical treatment.
Broken bones: Broken bones can range from fractures to compound fractures. The most common broken bones are in the arm, wrist, and leg. Soft tissue injuries can range from minor bruises and contusions to more serious ligament and tendon tears. Oftentimes, soft tissue injuries can be treated at home with RICE therapy (rest, ice, compression, elevation). However, more severe ligament and tendon tears may require surgical intervention.
Bike accidents can occur in various ways, each with their own circumstances and injuries. DM Law can help if you or someone you know who has been injured in a bike accident. Contact DM Law today for a free consultation. We have experience dealing with a multitude of biking-related accident cases and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.